Gomme Syrup is a sweetener drink that has been used over the ages in many classic cocktail recipes. It can very well be used in any cocktail that demands simple syrup. Additionally, it adds a smooth, silky texture to the drink and moderates the strong flavor of Alcohol. That is the reason why it goes exceptionally well with classic drinks like Lone Wolf, Apple and Eve, and many others. Moreover, Gomme syrup is even used in coffee at several coffee bars in parts of Europe and Asia, including Japan.
Even though making Gomme is a simple thing to do, your drink will be a disaster if not done perfectly. Here is the standard recipe to make good quality Gum.
Gomme Syrup Ingredients required:
- 12 tbsp or 3/4th cup water ( divide the water into 4 tbsp + 8 tbsp)
- 4tbsp or 1 ounce of food-grade gum arabic.
- 1 cup of sugar.
Steps to make a perfect Gomme Syrup:
- Boil 4 tbsp water. Stir it well with the gum arabic until the powder is completely dissolved. Rest it for a few hours. That is when the mixture is ready. Stir it until a fine smooth paste is formed, and then set it aside. After having soaked up the water for some time, the mixture will become a sticky paste, same as the consistency of glue.
- Next, get a saucepan. Add sugar and the remaining water. Stir constantly in low heat until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Bring it to a simmer and slowly add the paste. Simmer until a thick syrup is formed and remove any excess foam with a spoon.
- Turn off the heat and allow it to cool. Strain through cheesecloth.
- Store it in an airtight glass bottle and refrigerate it to use.
- The color of the syrup varies depending on the quality of natural gum used. Some produce a light, almost transparent syrup, while others may be amber or darker honey-shade syrup.
- Gum Arabic is a costly product. Owing to its nature, you might mess up a few times. Therefore, it is advised to start with smaller batches.
Simple Syrup vs Gomme Syrup for Cocktail Making
You can use both to balance your cocktails. What you should be aware, is how you measure those on your cocktails. Gomme Syrup will sweeten your drinks with a lower amount compared to a Simple Syrup. If a cocktail require 25ml of Simple Syrup, you can easily use 12.5ml of the Gomme Gyrup. This way you will achieve the same results.
Types of Gomme:
There are mainly two types of Gomme that cover up almost all bases.
- White Sugar Gomme – If you don’t want to neutralize the cocktail’s flavor profile and simply require sweetening it, white sugar Gomme is your best choice. It has a neutral flavor and doesn’t alter the base taste of the liquor.
- Demerara Gomme – Demerara Gomme uses demerara sugar, which is brown sugar. It offers a richer, more caramel-ish flavor.
Other types of sugars and sweeteners can be used to make it like honey, agave, muscovado, and maple syrup.
How to make flavored Gomme Syrup?
Depending on the cocktail recipe, the flavor can be added into it. If you want to infuse different kinds of flavor like herbs, spices, citrus zests, or tropical fruits, add them while the Gomme is simmering. Depending on the quantity of flavor used, it can take hours to days to get the flavor inside the syrup. Take your flavoring element and add it to the boiling water before adding the gum paste. Once the flavor incorporates the water, you will get flavored syrup.
Another method is to mix fruit juice with water. Now, add a very small amount of juice to the water before adding the gum paste to infuse flavor into your Gomme Syrup. You can even add flavored extract directly to the syrup while it’s cooling.
Gomme syrup has been used since the 1800s for sweetening drinks and other beverages. This article is a comprehensive guide to make your own for rich flavorful drinks.
FAQs About Gomme Syrup
1. How is Gum Arabic used in food?
=>Gum arabic has no odor or flavor; hence, it can be used as a thickening agent, emulsifier, and stabilizer in several foods and beverages and even in baking.
2. Is Gomme syrup the same as simple syrup?
=>No, a lot of people confuse Gomme syrup and simple syrup. Both serve the purpose of sweeteners; however, they are made differently. Simple syrup is nothing but a combination of equal parts sugar and water, while Gomme syrup requires a natural gum called gum arabic, obtained from the sap of two types of acacia trees.
More Blogs – https://spinandshake.co.uk/pornstar-martini-recipe